Nürburgring Insurance. An inconvenient truth.


It's a common myth that when confronted with danger an Ostrich will stick its head in the sand. This is simply not true, Ostriches don't do that. They're not that stupid.

But drivers of the Nürburgring might be sticking their heads in the sand when it comes to ignoring the risks of driving the Nordschleife's famous tourist sessions.

For Germans it's 'easy'. Upon entering the Nürburgring Nordschleife there are multiple signs explaining that German traffic law applies. Perhaps the most blindingly obvious is below:

Yep, upon the very barrier that hovers in front of your nose are the important words; 'Es gelten Stvo'. Stvo is Strassen verkehrs ordnung - or traffic law. During public hours the Nordschleife is a public road. In many ways this is no different to driving on to a privately owned toll bridge or into a supermarket car park. You wouldn't expect your insurance to be invalidated inside a Tesco or Walmart car park, would you?

Unfortunately non-German insurance companies, the English in particular, seem to be of the opinion that they aren't obliged to cover the Nordschleife. They like to pick and choose when their particular cover is valid or not.

They hide behind two particular paragraphs, one an exemption and one a binding agreement with the policy holder. The first is that Nürburgring Nordschleife, even during public sessions, is a 'prepared course', a race track or even a circuit. I don't know what they all mean exactly, but I CAN tell you that the UK Insurance Ombudsman did come to a final decision about the Nürburgring Nordschleife and its public sessions. He said that the track is a prepared course.

So that means, unequivocally for the English, your insurance company has an escape route from the liability. They don't want to pay.

But what about the EU laws? They HAVE to pay, don't they?

Yep, under German High Court Rulings and also under EU provisions, an insurer cannot escape the third-party claims arising from locations such as a race track under touristenfahrten (public driving) rules. However... What they can do, back home, in England for example, is delve back into the contract. The contract you agreed to. In there will be a simple paragraph explaining that IF they are forced to pay out for something that they wouldn't pay out for under the terms of your contract that YOU will be personally liable. You will have to pay them back. Or words to that effect.

The solutions

I'll be honest, I've not found that many so far. I suspect at least 50% of UK drivers who profess to having water-tight cover simply don't. The other 50% are very reluctant to share the secret.

  • Some very specialist brokers have secured cover for their clients on occasion. For example Mannings, a specialist Porsche and TVR insurance broker, did at one time provide written cover for the Nürburgring's public sessions. When I attempted to purchase a policy for my 1989 Mazda however, I was utterly stonewalled. Not really a solution at all for 99% of people. Let us know if you have any success.
  • Drive on private events and trackdays. Some events do still require third-party cover (e.g. Scuderia Hanseat), but some events do not (e.g. Destination Nürburgring). Now that a 25-lap ticket for public sessions costs almost the same as a private trackday, it's a lot more realistic to spend that money on a trackday.
  • Rent a Nürburgring hire car from a company such as Rent4Ring. Yep, I know, I work there, but still it's a serious consideration, isn't it? A €2500 excess payment and normal third-parties being covered without hassle isn't such a bad deal when you consider the alternatives.
  • Get German insurance for your car. This is the route I'm taking - however there are significant hurdles. Firstly you must have a residence here in Germany. Secondly your car must be registered in Germany. Unlike France, German insurance companies will only insure German registered cars. The only exceptions are for military personnel. If you're buying a car here in Germany, it's relatively straight-forward. But if you're importing a car then it needs to be standard, preferably with a Certificate of Conformity (COC paper). If it's modified you need the ABE and TüV documentation for each and every part.
  • Don't drive the Nürburgring any more. The insurance company doesn't want you to. Apparently they'd be happier about you driving like an arse on a public road - at least that's the result of their God-awful policies... :(

If you want to know more about UK insurance on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, I recommend visiting solicitor Andrew Thompson's page here. He's also been reading other peoples policies and providing his analysis (for free) just here.


-7 #1 jordanian1 2011-11-24 13:42
Not sure we need to cover this one again Dale. There is NO alternative and it cannot be said that ALL insurance companies won't provide cover. IMO there are risks involved in everything that we do and if we sit and look at all them WHY the feck would we leave our house in the morning ?
+1 #2 mmm-five 2011-11-24 14:57
What I don't understand, is that if none of them want to cover the 'Ring at all, then why don't they simply state it clearly on every policy.

The LV one on the page linked is terrible as they include any derestricted autobahn and Isle of Man road in their exclusions. I expected the 'Ring to be specifically excluded and never go to the 'Ring expecting anything else, but if I have an accident on the way there, I may find out later that I'm liable for millions of 3rd party damages.

Every year the exclusions get greater, the cost greater, cover gets smaller!

I've lost count of the track days an 'Ring laps I've done, whilst covered under a track day policy, that I've never had an accident on, yet I'm still finding my track insurance rising every time and finding it harder & harder to get a competitive quote at all. My last trip cost £600 in extra insurance alone.
+3 #3 mjr964 2011-11-24 16:05
hi dale - the big insurance question again?? -this is my take on it and has served me well for last 6 years and @ 1500 laps on bikes and cars

A. if your insurance doesnt state coverage for the nurburgring -then presume YOU ARE NOT COVERED

B. drive very CAREFULLY and well within your limit and your vehicles limit.

C. DONT hit anything or get yourself into a situation where you MAYBE involved in somebody elses accident

D. ALWAYS without exception do a slow "sighter lap" to access the track conditions

follow these simple rules and enjoy the BEST 13 miles of tarmac in the world
+3 #4 klr8 2011-11-24 18:55
I always find this 'prepared course' argument weak. What about the roads in Monaco that are part of the F1 circuit? Surely they're also a 'prepared course'? Yet I would fully expect to be covered there? Right?!
#5 admin 2011-11-24 21:49
Quoting klr8:
I always find this 'prepared course' argument weak. What about the roads in Monaco that are part of the F1 circuit? Surely they're also a 'prepared course'? Yet I would fully expect to be covered there? Right?!

Yep, it's ridiculous. So many roads are also racetracks - are they all exempt? I think not... Isle of Man, Brighton sea front, Oliver's Mount, Mettet, Le Mans, etc...
-1 #6 stefan740 2011-11-24 22:56
Thats what i did as well mjr964Still, it's no real solution.
I'm changing to trackdays at Spa next year.
#7 veejay 2011-11-25 11:10
With the busy TF nowadays I would very much hesitate to do a lap or 2. Renting a car is an option but still you need to consider loosing the 2.5K even if you believe it is not your fault, to other party will probably say the same. I also think the bill from the ring owner for the towing and property damage will add to the 2.5K I guess.

Luckely I can still very much enjoy the NS as spectator.
-1 #8 mjr964 2011-11-25 11:33
im thinking along the same lines as stefan740 -i have ridden my luck for last 6 years its only a matter of time before something bad will happen - so ive decided not to renew my JK next year-if i come over it will be during the week in the evening when its quiet and spend 1445 euros on some trackdays
+3 #9 mymini86 2011-11-26 13:16
Form a syndicate group of 8/9 ppl and keep the car at Nurburgring, is it worth considering?
#10 Stevie 2011-12-06 17:51
Trackdays all the way!

Nurburgring Webcams  

More Nürburgring webcams here!More Nürburgring webcams here!
Click to embiggen!


Register & Join in!  

I am sick to death of spammers and a**eholes, so automatic registration is now disabled.

If you'd like to comment or join the forum simply, send me an email requesting your desired username and one alternative. I will then add you manually. Processing may take 24-hours, but at least you won't have to read adverts for fake Gucci or Viagra...


Who's Online  

We have 62 guests and no members online


Share or Subscribe!  




Add to Google Reader or Homepage


Do you enjoy BTG?  

BTG is NOT a massive operation; it's just me, my camera and my computer. And a lot of help from my friends and family. Thanks!


Join us on facebook!  

Follow bridge2gantry on Twitter