Car 007, Team Fridge to Pantry, Yaris P1

Home Forums #Club1000 Build Threads Car 007, Team Fridge to Pantry, Yaris P1

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by 007JamesB 007JamesB 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

So, this is all Dale’s fault. When I first heard mention of the idea I was onboard!

For many people their Nürburgring fascination began when they saw Mr Clarkson struggling to get a diesel Jag round a quiet track in under 10 minutes. All I can say is he can’t be much of a driver! Anyway my Nürburgring fascination began when I got my first mx5 Eunos Roadster ’89 1.6 (2008ish) and upon seeing / driving it my friend Rob (bike nut and friend of dale) showed me some hilarious / inspiring videos of MUX showing up all kinds of expensive machinery. That was it in had to go, at the time I couldn’t manage a holiday of my own to drive round a race track as I’d just started university and really had to get rid of my mx5 I’d bought for a bit of fun. So fats forward now I’ve done 10 laps of the ring and all but my first were faster than Clarkson’s effort despite having less power (1.8 n/a mx5)

So now I’m aiming to up my slow car driven fast game with a club1000 car for the track. My mx5 is now pretty much a shell and all the tasty bits are sold and off to new homes. As the first maniac to complete a club1000 order I got my first choice of number 007.

I then realised that many of my friends were interested but not quite ready to take the leap so I invited two of them to join me and team Fridge to Pantry was born: more interested in a decent meal than a decent laptime.

Our car which I’ve just bought is a 2000 Toyota P1 Yaris 1.0vvti GS. I’ll let Richard and Russell introduce themselves before I introduce the car and start the build properly.

007, team: Fridge to Pantry, Driver 1

RustyM
    Participant

Right, so I’m Russell … how to describe myself …
    I’m from the MX5 side of things as well, which is how I met James and Richard. I’m also known as Vindi, from one of the kit cars I’ve made. I’m probably best known for long, drawn out car builds involving frequent random changes of direction, and slightly more dismantling than building.
    My plan is to throw ideas and parts at James, but stay away from the car itself unless under adult supervision …
    I’ve never been to the ring before, so what better wayway to go than in a hopelessly underpowered car?

Russell

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

So Richard has clearly gone to sleep (sensible)

Here’s a couple of pics to start off:

its just a yaris

A perfectly well cared for undamaged little yaris bought for peanuts from its second owners. 127,000 miles but full history and its only every been to the supplying Toyota dealer and the dealer that sold the car used to the lovely couple I bought it from.

Its a GS so it has electric windows and central locking… It seems ideal. Plans are for a mechanical over haul and stickers

So far though:

Representing until club1000 stuff is here

And most importantly like garlic and a stake to drive off vampires. The magic get-out-of-bongard-free card

Thats enough for tonight, tomorrow Richards intro and some fin with wheels and lowering

Reechard
    Reechard
    Participant

Hello fellow club1000ers!

I’m the third part of the team, I’ll be mostly in the food vendors round the adenau area….
    James offered me a chance to join in with him on this adventure, as I had been looking to join in separately, but other commitments meant it wasn’t likely till the following year.

As with the others, mx5s is where it all began, and have made some great friends.

To sum me up I’m like a fat Richard hammond, I love all things porsche, live in the countryside and have a not so secret American obsession.

Fridge2Pantry 007

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

So I’ve test fitted the better looking set of 15s I have in my garage:

Looks pretty good with the test lowering – sadly the wheels are no longer mine but I have several other less lightweight/attractive sets.

I’ve also now ordered some -40mm springs as the dampers on my car look to be fairly recent. Still interested to find out the opinion of the rest of the field when they’ve tried their chosen suspension solutions.

So service and a thorough check over this weekend ready for testing the car out at Blyton next week. Hopefully have the springs and some better pads by then.

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

More excitement!

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

So today I’ve given the Yaris a service, new filters some expensive petronas 5w40 fully synthetic oil as I had a gallon left over from my mx5. I’ve also changed the plugs and installed my lowering springs. Was very easy to say I’ve not done anything with a yaris before.

Here’s how it sits right now

Much less monster truck. Handling seems the same to be honest but I think going from mixed 175 tyres to 195 federal RSRs made the biggest difference

nigelmcg
    nigelmcg
    Participant

Looking good… 😉

Dale Lomas
    Dale Lomas
    Keymaster

I’m a fan of those wheels, that’s for sure!

Kev_G
    Kev_G
    Participant

Did you take it around blyton park seen as you visited then?

Salto
    Salto
    Participant

looking really good!

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

Sadly the wheels aren’t staying, they’re off my mx5 and the offset is a little too low.

As for Blyton I’m there tomorrow to test it out and a variety of semi slicks so I’ll let you know how we get on.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by 007JamesB 007JamesB.

Kev_G
    Kev_G
    Participant

looking forward to updates

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

On the 19th I gathered the Yaris, one of my other drivers (Richard) and 6 sets of wheels / tyres at Blyton Park in Lincolnshire for an open pitlane track day.

The day before Dale made his decision on tyres (none of which i was prepared for apart from Richard having some NS2-R’s fitted to his daily which should fit the yaris). So the night before I bought a set of 14″ NS2-R’s one some cheap alloys. so the tyres we took with us:

195/50/15 TOYO R888 GG medium compound
    195/50/15 & 205/50/15 AVON ZZR
    195/50/15 YOKOHAMA AD08R’s
    195/50/15 NANKANG NS2-R Street Compound
    185/60/14 NANKANG NS2-R Street Compound
    195/50/15 FEDERAL 595RS-R

Note other than the 14″ NS2R’s the rest were what i had for my MX5 anyway, or in the case of the AD08R’s borrow from my friend.
    So after we’d unpacked all the tyres, been briefed and sent Richard out to do the sighting laps it started to rain 🙁 perfect for the fairly hardcore selection of semi slicks.

Anyway give the weather the first thing i did was fit the 14″ NS2R’s got my self ready fired up the car and it didn’t want to move. Yup the beastly front brakes :p were touching the spokes and I’d not brought any spacers (doh) So in the interest of death or glory I stuck the Avon ZZR’s on the front and went to try my first laps in the slowest car I’ve ever had:

It doesn’t look that wet in the pictures but it was very greasy from the rallycross dumping various fluids on the Sunday (gotta get the excuses in early) within 10 Laps I’d spun 3 times so I came in to change some tyres around:

I was feeling seriously disheartened at this point and was thinking what the hell have I done – this things useless on track it may be ok on a lap of TF but I’m not going to enjoy having a 60bhp track car.

Obviously all this auto ballet wasn’t driver error 😉 so i switched to 14″ ns2rs on the back and 15″ ns2rs on the front and dropped the rear pressures a fair bit this definately improve matters a fair bit and before long the lift off oversteer was much more manageable (and some of the ATF / oil had dispersed). even though it was soaking wet I was lapping well and despite only seeing 75-80mph though Port Froid complex which would normally see over 100 in the mx5 I was actually over taking stuff. Joined by the usual FCTDC bunch of eclectic who are a top bunch of guys so once I was catching them in the corners they were moving over and backing off. There was one utter plonker in a mk7 fiesta who I nearly rear ended twice due to his awful track driving but I was actually thinking this was alright. I’ll continue after supper…

007JamesB
    007JamesB
    Participant

Check it out: lifting a wheel through the wriggler

So later things dried out a little and I sent my girlfriend out for a lap…
    she came back after one lap to tell me it was a load of crap and I need to get another mx5.

Richard had a fair few sessions as and when I could find him. In the afternoon the track dried somewhat and I switched to the AD08R’s which were perfect, really suited the mildly moist conditions and the car.

I think its fair to say this was far from a fair test of tyres, given the weather I didn’t get to try the R888s or ZZR’s properly (didn’t even bother with the R888s) I also didn’t get to try the NS2-R on the car with matched sizes. I’m leaning towards trying some 14″ AR1s but they’re seriously expensive. I also doubt the suspension and ARB setup (cheap springs – standard arb) will exploit the really sticky tyres anyway.

So thats where we are, I’ve got the rad to replace and the cooling system to give some love. Still waiting for a rough rollcage estimate to move forwards.

I’ve booked off some days for Car freitag, Zolder in january is likely out as I doubt the car will be finished but very interested in the adventure to the Cape mayb even taking part?!

A word from our sponsors: Total cost including the car is £609.13
    (this includes a set of wheels and a set of NS2-R’s)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by 007JamesB 007JamesB. Reason: apparently i forgot how to spell dried

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Unofficial Nürburgring news, laptimes, photos and videos!