I’m still pretty emotional, and I’m stuck on the other side of Europe, but I had a horrible feeling that if I didn’t start this today, the momentum might not ever be so high as it is now.
It’s not as if we’d even have to rename a corner, as many individual named sections contain several different corners. Let me explain some Nordschleife naming issues:
- This downhill right is often called Hatzenbach Bogen, which is confusing as the fast right on the GP circuit closest to it is named the same. This could be re-named EASILY
- Everybody knows the Füchsröhre, but the high-speed flick-flack before it? Between the old poststraße and the bottom of the dip? Also needs a name.
- Metzgesfeld is an historic section, but it’s greedy. It has 3 corners inside! It could surrender at least one to the Queen of the ‘Ring.
- Spiegelkurve is a wonderful old name, but it’s not often used for this mirror-scraping high-speed pif-paf. A weak candidate, but it’s there. I’m just saying.
- Lauda Links is officially part of Bergwerk – can’t we get this ratified at the same time?!
- The third left of Kesselchen is a corner that has taken lives, cars and egos. But it still has no name. I’ve suggested Surtees for nearly 5 years.
- Another deadly corner that sits in the Klostertal section, but doesn’t get its own name. I lost a colleague here, and it’s another fine candidate for a proper name.
- Hohe Acht is the name of the hill behind this section, and the 90º right-hander at the top of the hill. But what about the fast left? Or the flick-flack chicane? No official name…